Thursday, March 10, 2011

Michele + Alli = a special breed of seitan

Michele came over today, finally. I had to talk her through the train to Brooklyn; she was a bit unnerved. 





Apparently people on Manhattan trains do not wear bright pink lipstick on places that are not their lips...Who knew?


We decided we would make seitan and peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.

Actual happenings: We sort of made seitan and then lay in my bed eating a bag of chocolate chips.

We wanted to make a half recipe of seitan because we didn't need a full recipe for just the two of us, but I kinda ruined it by putting half amounts of all of the ingredients except for the water. This resulted in dough soup which for those of you who don't know, is not seitan.

We added all the flour that was left in the bags in an attempt to salvage our hard work (just go with it) and it actually sort of turned out okay.

There was still a TON of bran in the seitan, which if you remember from this post, was supposed to be washed out during the rinsing process. We had gone through enough trauma, so we decided to delude ourselves into believing that we had rinsed the seitan thoroughly enough to move on.

We followed the directions and simmered it for 2 hours (I have no idea how long I simmered it for. I was paying zero attention. (Just kidding Misch!) But not really. ) in the flavored cooking liquid (also called court bouillon).

It actually came out fairly well.

I'll take pictures of whatever I make with it.
 In the meantime I need to figure out how I am going to deal with my chocolate chip hangover tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment