Friday, March 18, 2011

Gobo

A hundred and twenty years ago Misch and I went to Gobo and I haven't written about it yet so let's do that now. K.

First, I hate to say mean things(that's actually a little bit true), but the woman who served us knew NOTHING about the food at the restaurant. The menu is pretty expansive, so we were hoping for a little bit of guidance. We wanted to share a few things so we could try a variety of what the restaurant had to offer, but she really had nothing valuable to extend to us in the way of suggestions or advice. It really felt like she had just walked in off the street and was reading the menu for the first time with us.


So, we figured it out on our own and went with:


 Crispy Spinach & Soy Cheese Wontons


 Pine Nut Vegetable Medley with Lettuce Wraps


 Pineapple Fried Rice w/ Sunflower Seeds & Soy Protein


 Scallion Pancakes with Homemade Mango Salsa


Mango, Coconut and Tapioca Pudding
Topped with Macadamia Nut Brittle

Honestly, it wasn't great. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 overall. The pine nut vegetable medley was by far the best dish. It was delicious. I would have been happy had everything lived up to that level of deliciousness. The crispy spinach and soy cheese wontons were good as well, but they did not shake me to my core with delciousness, really nothing at this meal did. The fried rice was okay; it needed more seasoning and quite honestly I could have gotten fried rice from the Chinese restaurant on the corner and added pineapple, avocado and sunflower seeds and it probably would have been better. The scallion pancakes were delicious, but have you ever had scallion pancakes that weren't? The mango salsa was bland and did not add anything to the dish. The tapioca pudding was just a mess; definitely the disappointment of the evening. It was flavorless, watery and boring. I'm thinking maybe we just ordered wrong, but really in a good restaurant, there should be no such thing. At least I got to spend another lovely evening with my darling Michele!



Hi Misch!
I hope you're having fun in Boston with our boyfriend Sam!
(I think I'm going to stop saying that now. I'm starting to creep myself out. (I'm definitely not going to stop saying that.) )


No comments:

Post a Comment